Residential LED lights are a perfect solution for reducing energy bills while providing an appealing and comfortable indoor and outdoor illumination. From highlighting specific sections inside or outside the house to lighting up the premises, the LED lamps provide many benefits over the traditional bulbs.
The residential LED lights provides the usual benefits of low energy costs, long life, low maintenance and less heat dissipation. In addition, they can add a better look and feel that make the spaces more comfortable and relaxing.
However, the selection of the correct residential LED lights is critical in ensuring comfort in the home. Whether upgrading or carrying out a new installation, there are several things that one must consider. Generally, it is impossible to use only one type of the residential LED lights to meet all the requirements in the household.
A successful lighting scheme requires careful selection and balancing of different types of lights. And factors such as the level of lighting, design, and functions in the room, as well as control required influences the choice of any lighting plan.
Skip to section
Basics types of lighting
Residential LED lights designs vary according to the illumination needs of the room, space or application. As such, it is essential to first identify the purpose of the light and then narrow down on the appropriate fixture to provide this. Usually, providing a well-lit space requires combining the three basic types of lights. These are the general lighting, task lighting, and accent lighting.
General or ambient lighting
It is the basic form of light that provides the overall illumination of the entire surrounding. It replaces the sunlight and is fundamental when planning how to light any space. The light must radiate a comfortable level of brightness to enable the people to see clearly as well as walk safely. The ideal fixtures to provide this type of illumination include ceiling or wall-mounted fixtures, chandeliers, track lights, recessed lights, as well as lanterns for the outdoor spaces.
This provides the proper lighting a person requires to perform tasks such as cooking, reading, games, applying make-up, etc. Typical fixtures to provide the task lighting include the portable LED lamps, table LED lamps, LED track lights, recessed LED lights, LED pendant lights and more. Ideally, the task lighting must be bright enough to avoid eyestrain but should be free of shadows and distracting glare.
This provides specific light that helps in creating a visual interest. This can be part of a decoration where it spotlights specific objects such artwork, antiquated vase houseplants, or paintings, and other features in the room. In addition, the LED accent lighting is ideal for highlighting the outdoor landscaping, the texture of a wall or drapery.
The accent fixtures provide about three times more lights towards the focal spot compared to the surrounding ambient light. The best fixtures for accent lighting include the LED track lights, recessed lights, recessed directional lights, as well as wall-mounted LED lights.
The common residential LED lights fixtures
After determining the type of light for a specific room, the next step is to decide on what lighting fixtures will best meet the requirements. The selection of the appropriate light largely depends on the purpose. Additionally, the amount, color and direction of the light will largely depend on whether it will work as the primary source of lighting, for security or decoration.
The best thing is that there is a wide variety of lighting fixtures for residential spaces. These have different designs, styles, construction materials, and costs. The specific design, performance, mounting, and other parameters vary from one type and application to the other. And it is important to research and find the best option that meets the illumination requirements.
The list of residential LED light fixtures include the ceiling lights, chandeliers, pendants, under-cabinet lights, LED strip lights, LED downlights, high hat lights, track lights, etc.
Typical features of the residential LED lights
- Recessed LED Light fixtures: This is suitable for the ambient, task as well as accent lighting and usually installed in the ceiling. It can also be inside the rooms or outdoors under the eaves. The recessed light fixtures are usually designed for low-ceilings areas; however, there are special adapters that make them suitable for other spaces such as cathedral ceilings. Typical fixtures include the downlights, wall washers, and as adjustable accent light.
- LED chandeliers: The hanging LED lights are suitable for adding style and sparkle to a living room, a dining room, a foyer or a bedroom. Generally, it provides a general lighting over the coverage area. However, there are models designed with downlights to provide task or accent lighting.
- LED Pendant light fixtures: These are suitable for providing both the general and task lighting. Those with dimmers are more flexible since the user can control the light to match the requirements. The fixtures are usually suspended from the ceiling over the work areas such as the kitchen counter or the dinette table. Further, the fixtures have globes or shades to reduce glare.
- LED track Lights: These are ideal for the general, the task as well as the accent lighting. This is available from just one flexible fixture since it allows a user to move, rotate, swivel or aim the light in any direction. This allows the users to change the lighting schemes whenever necessary.
- Ceiling LED fixtures: These provides a general lighting over the areas such the hallways, kitchens, bedrooms, foyers, laundry rooms and more.
- Wall-Mounted LED lights: Provides general task as well as accent lighting in hallways, living rooms, and bedrooms. In addition, they are used for matching and supplementing the chandeliers in the dining room.
Other indoor residential LED types
LED strip lights
These are suitable for a wide range of applications including general lighting, task lighting, accent lighting and decorative lighting. The strips are available as either fixed or flexible form, depending on the application. There are also RGB LED light strips for some applications such as Christmas and similar decorations.
A multi-color LED strip light will most often have a programmable controller to switch between colors and patterns. Other specifications include the control which can be manual, touch, WIFI, or RF wireless remote control. The number of LEDs and mounting methods may also vary according to application and space.
LED strip lights have several uses, some of which would be impossible with the traditional bulbs. They are great in providing light to illuminate a wide variety of spaces including the stairs, kitchen bench tops, and more.
Due to their design, the strip fits well in many areas. For example, they can be hidden in coves, within bottle racks, under the glass shelves and many other places. In addition, some such as the RGB multi colors LEDs are used for decorations. These may incorporate controllers that enable them to give endless variations of light patterns and colors.
Side Emitting Flexible LED Strip Light
The side emitting LED lights are designed to provide the illumination for applications that require strong light from one direction targeting the desired direction. These are suitable for back-lighting, under-cabinet lighting, tight spaces, decorative lighting and pathway lighting, and more.
Typical residential applications include the architectural lighting for corridors, windows, archways, canopies, and others, while the commercial applications include the decorative lighting for exhibitions, trade shows and holidays.
Dressing table and makeup mirror LED Lights
The LED vanity lights provide light for the dressing or makeup mirrors in the bedroom or bathroom. Usually, the mirror has lights that help someone to see clearly and apply the makeup in the right places on the face.
Most often, these have a dimming option to control the light according to the time of the day and amount of illumination required. These bulbs must, however, produce a light that is almost natural and bright enough when necessary to see minute details.
The residential LED lights usually outperform the conventional fixtures. With a variety of LED profiles, homeowners can enjoy the energy savings, efficiency, durability as well as the beauty and improved lighting anywhere in their house. In addition, when selected well, they have the potential to transform the look, comfort, and feel of a room.
Because of their flexibility, there are so many customization opportunities that make it possible to light almost any space. Most often, upgrading to residential LED lights provides the homeowners with many customization options that are not present using the traditional bulbs.