Installing LED lights for the home enables the consumers to reduce their energy needs and electricity bills.
Since the energy-saving bulbs can run from a wide variety of power sources, they are suitable for numerous indoor and outdoor applications. However, choosing the right LED fixture and lamp is critical in creating the perfect ambiance in the room, or for the application. Most often, this requires paying attention to the space and application details.
While most standard lights will work indoors, the outdoor LED lights requires weatherproof housing to prevent water and dust ingress, as well as withstand other harsh conditions.
Benefits of led lighting in the home
The benefits of LED lights for the home are numerous. These include
- Better energy savings that enable consumers to reduce their electricity bills. Adding occupancy, daylight sensors provides better automatic control and savings.
- Longer service life hence lower replacement and maintenance costs
- They do not dissipate a lot of heat to the room, hence, less cooling requirements and more energy savings.
- Flexible power sources: There are different types to operate from solar, batteries and or AC mains.
- Environmental friendly since they do not contain toxic materials
- Ability to withstand shocks
- Instant on and does not require time to warm up.
Considerations when choosing LED lights for the home
Due to the varying lighting requirements for the different rooms in a home, there are specific LED lights that will work best for certain applications but provide poor lighting for others.
Among the features to consider when selecting the LED lighting components include;
- Brightness or light intensity. The brightness of the bulb is usually expressed in term of lumens but not the wattage which refers to the amount of energy the bulb consumes from the power source.
- Color Temperature: This refers to the appearance of the light. The high color temperature LED lights produces cool white light almost, similar to the daylight while the medium temperature produces neutral-white and the lower temperature produces a warm-white light like that of the fire.
- The direction of light: Whether to spread the light over a wide area or target a specific spot and direction. Most bulbs for illuminating wide areas have many individual bulbs pointing in many directions, while spotlight will have all the bulbs concentrated in a certain direction.
- Power rating of the fixture: For safety considerations, it is essential to determine if the rating of the existing fixture will support the bulb. There are different conversion tools for assisting consumers to determine the maximum wattage of the LED bulb that the fixture can support.
- Indoor or Outdoor applications
- Dimming, remote or automatic control options
Choosing LED lights for different applications
Every room has different lighting needs in terms of the amount of brightness and color temperature. Other considerations include the beam angle, hue, automatic control, power source, dimmable options, and other function specific factors. The mountings for the LED fixtures may also differ according to the application and may range from ceiling mounted and wall mounted, to table lamps, portable lamps and more.
To meet the varying needs, LED lighting manufacturers produces a wide variety of LED lamps and fixtures. Typical designs include
- LED ceiling lights
- Living room LED Lights
- Bedroom LED Lights
- LED downlights
- Kitchen LED lights
- LED chandeliers
- Outdoor LED Lights
- LED floodlights
- Bathroom LED lights- moisture resistant
- Security LED lights – Some have inbuilt solar panels hence do not require wiring, or external power source.
- Battery powered LED lights – These can be recharged using the Grid power or renewable energy sources.
With such as wide variety of lighting designs, it is important to consider what type of lighting will be adequate and comfortable for each room or space. Below are some of the general recommendations for installing the LED lights for the home in different rooms.
LED lights for the living room
Since this is where the family and guests seat when relaxing, a mix of lighting schemes enables the occupants to customize the light according to the specific requirements or occasion. This may include dimmable downlights and wall mounted lights.
It is advisable to avoid LED bulbs that are too bright or those that emit blue light. Using adjustable LED spotlight lamps to illuminate family photos or artwork and will also reduce the glare on the television screen.
Dining room LED lighting
A dining room requires a balance between an overly bright and a dim light. A soft to neutral tone creates the perfect ambiance for the dining room. For such applications, the overhead fixtures such as the chandeliers provide just the optimum lighting solutions.
Ideally, a dimmable LED light for the dining room makes it possible to adjust to the perfect brightness depending on the time of the day and requirements.
LED light fixtures for the bedroom
LED bulbs are a good choice for bedroom applications as they provide a better ambiance compared to the other types of bulbs.
Generally, most people prefer a bedroom with a warm, peaceful and relaxed ambiance. An ideal LED fixture to light a bedroom is that which generates a warm or soft light; otherwise a high brightness level or color temperature may be uncomfortable and hence not suitable.
In case there is the need for a reading light, a LED lamp that produces a neutral light such as a white tone works the best. This can create a contrast that differentiates pages in a book from the environment.
Kitchen LED lights
Due to the activities in a kitchen, there should be a bright enough light to provide comfort and safety at the kitchen counter. However, it is advisable to have an extra dimmable overhead LED light fixture which allows the adjusting of the light in the room without compromising the work area.
Ideally, the overhead fixture will be less bright, but have a warmer temperature. This will balance out the bright light over the work area or counter.
LED lighting for the bathroom
The bathroom requires bright lighting while the color can vary from warm to bright daylight.
But it may also require other types of lights. For example, while the mirror requires more light, the ceiling may not need as much. To create the right ambiance for the shower area, a surface mount fixture is recommended.
LED Pool lights
Should your property have a pool, you can also consider installing LED pool lights, which will add to the aesthetic appeal of your home’s exterior.
Your pool will also be more inviting for evening and night swims.
You can click here to view Australian pool supplier’s Mr Pool Man supplies a wide range of pool LED lights.
Upgrading to home LED lights
LED lights for the home allow consumers to save the energy bills and replacing all the lights can lead to better savings. However, a consumer may opt to upgrade in phases when unable to replace the lights in the entire house in one go.
One of the best approaches is to start with the high wattage bulbs and those that remain on the longest. Generally, this means the primary lights in the living room, kitchen and dining room.
In a typical home, the light use by room will most likely follow the pattern below (most energy use at the top)
- living room
- dining room
- outdoor floodlight
- Home office
- child’s room
The next step is to determine the rating of the new LED bulb that will provide adequate lighting for that particular environment. To retain the same level of lighting, the lumen output must be similar to that of the existing bulb.
It is also important to consider the type and shape of the bulb, and then try and match this as closely as possible. For example, if an existing bulb is a general purpose or the reflector type, replacing it with a LED bulb of similar design will provide the same or better illumination. It is also good to determine if the new bulb will fit in the existing fixture, and replace it if they are incompatible.
Generally, most of the LED lights for the home have standard designs that allow them to easily fit in the existing fixtures and fittings without upgrading. This allows a one-to-one direct replacement without incurring additional costs. However, it may be advisable to replace the standard fixtures for the central room lights, spotlights or downlights with shallower models for the LEDs since there is less heat dissipation.
Home LED lights have several benefits, including reducing the energy use in the households. However, to realize these benefits without compromising quality of the illumination, the consumers must consider the lighting requirements for the spaces and applications, and then select the appropriate fixtures and bulbs.
Selecting the right LED lights for the home not only saves the consumers money on the electricity bills, but also the maintenance and cooling requirements.